07 May Copp – Dash Inspire Awards
Seven teams planning expeditions from Alaska to Pakistan have been chosen to receive the inaugural Copp-Dash Inspire Awards. The new climbing grant program was established in memory of American climbers Jonny Copp and Micah Dash, who were killed in an avalanche in China in May 2009 along with filmmaker Wade Johnson. The awards provide financial support as well as mentoring before and after the expedition to help the climbers bring back inspiring multimedia stories of their adventures.
The 2010 Copp-Dash Inspire Award winners and their objectives are:
• Kevin Mahoney, South Face of Nuptse, Nepal, with Ben Gilmore and Freddie Wilkinson. Alpine-style ascent via a new route on the perimeter of the Cobweb Wall.
• Madaleine Sorkin, Southeast Face of Mt. Proboscis, Canada, with Lorna Illingworth and Emily Stifler. First complete free ascent of the 2,000-foot Original Route.
• Matt McCormick, Southeast Pillar of K7 West, Nepal, with Jim Shimberg and Tim Deroehn. Alpine-style first complete ascent of a major sub-summit of K7 West.
• Sam Johnson, South Face of Mt. Shand and traverse of Mt. Hayes massif, Alaska, with Ryan Hokanson. Alpine-style first ascent of 1,500-meter face on Mt. Shand and 12-mile traverse of Hayes massif, entailing thousands of vertical meters of climbing.
• Sarah Garlick, northwest face of the Baroness, Greenland, with Danika Gilbert, Jim Surette, and Dave Nettle. New free route on 2,000-foot northwest face of the Baroness.
• Will Meinen, North Face of Mt. Geikie, Canada, with Fred McGuinness and Scott Thumlert. First ascent on 4,000-foot face.
• Zack Smith, traverse of the Moose’s Tooth massif, with Renan Ozturk and Freddie Wilkinson. A full traverse of the massif, entailing an estimated 12,000 feet of ice, rock, and snow climbing.
The Copp-Dash Inspire Award is funded by Black Diamond, La Sportiva, Mountain Hardwear, and Patagonia, with support from Alpinist magazine, the Jonny Copp Foundation, John Dickey, Mikey Shaefer, the Adventure Film Festival, and Sender Films. The grant is administered by the AAC.
Source : Rockandice Inclined