Coxsey and Chon win in Innsbruck
Tough competition at the Austrian leg of the Boulder World Cup22 May 2016
Awesome competition and perfect organization in Innsbruck, where the Austrian leg of the Bouldering World Cup took place yesterday. Gold for Shauna Coxsey, back on top after a sub-par performance in India, and for Jongwon Chon, overall winner of 2015 at his first vicory in 2016. Fourth gold of this season for Shauna. Video of the final in the banner.
Perfect route setting as usual, with problems of all styles, from technical slabs with micro holds, to physical and acrobatic overhangs, that didn't create fractures in the classements. Each one of the 36 problems set over the weekend, indeed, has been climbed at least by one athlete.
1. Jongwon Chon - Shauna Coxsey
2. Tomoa Narasaki - Janja Garnbret
3. Sean McColl - Miho Nonaka
4. Roland Rugens - Megan Mescarenas
5. Dimitrii Sharafitdinov - Anna Stöhr
6. Martin Stranik - Akiyo Noguchi
7. Sol Sa
With only two events left, Shauna Coxsey needs just one podium to become overall champion, but we seriously doubt that she will make such calculations...
In the men's cathegory everything is still to be decided, with six athletes who can still win the overall title.
Overall standings after five events:
1. Shauna Coxsey 437 - Tomoa Narasaki 298
2. Miho Nonaka 319 - Kokoro Fujii 289
3. Melissa Le Neve 298 - Alexey Rubtsov 262
4. Akiyo Noguchi 259 - Jongwon Chon 238
5. Monika Retschy 200 - Rustam Gelmanov 219